• Please select a day or scroll down to read entire post
  • Day 1 • June 12, 2015

    Aerial view of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport is an international airport 3 miles south of downtown Washington, D.C. in Arlington County, Virginia, United States. It is the nearest commercial airport to the capital and serves the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area. For decades  it was called Washington National Airport before being renamed to honor President Ronald Reagan in 1998. The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) operates the airport with close oversight by the federal government due to its proximity to the national capital.

    Well, the time has come again for yet another adventure in the Nation's Capital to celebrate both my graduate school graduation, and a friend’s college graduation! Similar to the last learning moment, we are staying at the same awesome hotel, the Embassy Suites at the Chevy Chase Pavilion, located in the Friendship Heights neighborhood of Washington, DC. Different from the last visit, we are flying this time, rather than going by train.

    We arrived at Boston’s Logan International Airport at about 1:00 PM yesterday afternoon. Believe it or not, getting through security went very smooth! The TSA people were very friendly, helpful, and prior to our flight, we ate lunch at Legal Sea Foods! I enjoyed fish chowder and the tuna burger, and Tyler just had the tuna burger. It hit the spot, as we have not had much to eat all day. Then, at 3:00 PM, we are on the US Airways shuttle! The flight was completely full, and also super short! They had drinks, and we each had a ginger ale. We arrived at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport at about 4:30 PM, and took Uber right to the hotel.

    Last night, after checking in and learning the layout of our suite, we met up with Emily, a friend from college who is living down here because of a job. Since it was a long day, we didn’t do to much. We enjoyed the nightly manager’s reception, where all drinks and snacks are free! We enjoyed a few glasses of wine, and it was very relaxing. For dinner, we went to the Bethesda neighborhood and ate at a lively bar called Caddies. I had a burger, and Emily and Tyler enjoyed chicken sandwiches. Of course, we also had beer! We got back to the hotel at about 12:30 AM, and tomorrow is sure to bring many more surprises!!!

  • Day 2 • June 13, 2015

    A Photo of an assortment of food at the Eastern Market, including fresh locally grown fruits and vegetables. Located in the heart of the Capitol Hill neighborhood, DC’s biggest public market – the eastern market was designed by Adolf Cluss and opened its doors in 1873. It continued to operate as a public market until it was devastated by a fire in April 2007. Renovations and rebuilding continued until June 2009 when it finally reopened. Through the years, the market has functioned as a gathering place for locals and tourists alike to purchase local meats, produce, crafts, art, etc.

    After a long day yesterday, we slept in our comfortable suite at the Embassy Suites at the Chevy Chase Pavilion. After a good breakfast, our first stop was Eastern Market, which is a outdoor flee market. Man, was it hot!! It was probably about 95 degrees. At Eastern Market, there were many vendors, selling food, jewelry, clothing, and other stuff. I tried gelato for the first time, and it was even better than traditional ice cream! I had dark chocolate.

    Following our endeavor at Eastern Market, we had lunch at Kramerbooks & Afterwords Café, which is a bookstore, restaurant, and bar all in one at Dupont Circle. I had pasta in a garlic cream sauce with crab cakes, and Tyler enjoyed a crab cake sandwich. While the restaurant was quite narrow and crowded, it was great! Since it was so hot, we then relaxed at the Capital City Brewing Company and Clyde’s, two great bars in the Chinatown neighborhood. It was great to meet interesting people and to stay out of the sweltering heat!!

    Saturday night, our plan was to go to a jazz concert at Bohemian Caverns, which is a jazz club downtown. We were going to go to the show at 8:00 PM, but found out that it was sold out, and we didn’t want to wait until 10:00, since it was so hot. So we enjoyed more drinks at a tavern nearby, and ended our night at the Lucky Bar, where we both enjoyed fish and chips. What an awesome but exhausting day!!

  • Day 3 • June 14, 2015

    Interior photo of Logan Tavern—Washington D.C. district Logan Circle’s original neighborhood restaurant since 2003, Logan Taverns serves classic American fare with a modern twist; utilizing the freshest local and seasonal ingredients available. They  feature handcrafted cocktails, regional beers and carefully selected wines.

    After sleeping in, we went to an informal chamber music concert, performed by some of our friend Emily’s nice music friends! It was at George Washington University, and they played piano, as well as had a small orchestra. One drawback to the Metro system is that they do track work every weekend, and the trains are very delayed! So it became increasingly frustrating, since it was still hot, and the waiting for trains was quite long!

    After the short concert, we went to a bar called Logan Tavern, where Emily and her friends went in the past. They have a great happy hour, and most of all, it was great to stay in the AC, out of the heat! We enjoyed a few beers, chicken fingers, and hand-cut fries!

    After that, we checked out Adams Morgan, a lively neighborhood. We tried the Black Squirrel, a tiny hole in the wall bar. It was empty, and as usual, everyone was so helpful! Since it was so hot, we again ended the night at about 11:30 PM. It’s hard to believe that tomorrow is our last day in Washington, DC!!

  • Day 4 • June 15, 2015

    Today, we slept in, packed, and relaxed at the hotel. For our final adventure, we again went back to Dupont Circle, relaxed at Starbuck’s, and returned to The Lucky Bar for happy hour/lunch/dinner, since it was at about 3:00 PM. Unlike on Saturday night, when the bar was so crowded, the bar had just opened, so it was easy to hear each other and the staff were helpful. After getting our bags from the hotel, we made our way to National Airport. Getting through security, like in Boston, was no problem. The TSA people were patient, and we even got a chance to relax in the US Airways club prior to our flight. Our flight was completely full, and left on time, at 7:30 PM. We got to Logan at about 9:00 PM, and I took the T and returned home at about 10:30. What a great, awesome, and exhausting time in DC!!